This is the image I started with:
As the "MADE" tutorial suggests, I made a "posterized" version using Picnik to reduce it to basic highlights and shadows. Here are photos of some of the steps along the process as I followed their tutorial...
|Outlining the image (before it was scanned and flipped)|
|Tracing the image onto the freezer paper|
|Cutting out the image|
|All the pieces ironed on|
|Painting in exposed areas|
|Peeling off freezer paper (after I let it dry)|
|I used the negative of the cut pieces for my sister's shirt.|
|The finished products|
Yay for freezer paper stenciling! The only bad thing is that I didn't have any fabric paint on hand so I used acrylic. I saw on several other blogs that it can be used as well, and saw here that it can be set with vinegar instead of using a textile medium, so that's what I did...we'll see how it holds up! Both shirts seemed to come out really well. The only thing that didn't is on my shirt, the yellow "imagine" has cracks now after it went through the dryer, but it doesn't look too bad. I think maybe the paint went on too thick. Also on my shirt, it's faint but a bit of the paint seems to have seeped under the paper by his ear, so it must not have been ironed down completely there.
Despite these couple of problems, it went pretty well for such a difficult first attempt! I can't wait to do more, and I'll try actual fabric paint. Also the blue shirt wasn't the best choice for painting, since it's pretty tight and the image stretches. Now I know for next time!
Happy Birthday, John!