Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's a Hat! Or Two!


I finished knitting my hat! I used this video from KnitPicks.  Unfortunately, it turned out a lot bigger than anticipated, which I don't understand because I measured my head and knitted a swatch beforehand to figure out my gauge.  Maybe I measured wrong...I thought maybe since it was a bit big for me, it would fit my boyfriend, Shawn, but it's a bit too big for him as well. Plus he says it's a bit too girly...maybe because of the rolled brim?  Oh well, I think maybe I'll just wear it as a bulky comfy hat. 



I also made an attempt at crocheting a hat, which I had surprisingly never done.  I stumbled upon some "How to Crochet Beanies" videos from Expert Village.  However, I think they're not quite experts over there at expert village. The instructions in some places were a little hard to follow, and the girl doesn't do crochet stitches as I usually see them done. But I tried to follow it anyway...after the first row or so I just sort of made up my own pattern as I went anyway because the instructions weren't turning out right. The hat was pretty easy overall since it's just a spiral pattern.  I used some soft textured yarn I had, which may have made it a little harder though. It didn't turn out too terribly...



And even if he doesn't wear it, I of course made Shawn take a hat picture with me.


I am now trying to crochet another spiral pattern hat with just the brown worsted weight yarn.  I think I'll try to make it a bit of a slouchy hat. We'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome hats! very stylish. and it doesnt huge, so i wouldnt worry about it being too big :p
    it looks great

    ReplyDelete