Sunday, November 28, 2010

On Growing Up


No matter what I'm doing, worries about the future are always in the back of my mind. I'm in my junior year in college so some very serious decisions need to be made soon. I mean, I have a major. I don't know how I picked one, but I did. It's "Letters, Arts, and Sciences" and you use it to sort of design your own major, mine being "Art & Entrepreneurship." So basically, I'll be taking a lot of art and business classes in hopes of starting my own art business of some kind. But that's pretty much the extent of my goals.

I was always one of those kids who was pretty good at every subject, but didn't have an interest in any one thing more than the others. It also doesn't help that I am probably one of the most indecisive people you'll ever meet. So I never could make decisions, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. But I know that I want to do something that makes me happy. I probably could do a lot of things if I applied myself, but I'd rather not do some mindless job I don't enjoy. I've never been all about winning or getting to the top, I just want to be happy. I've never been a fan of the whole "decide what you'll do with your life right out of high school" phenomenon either. Instead, why aren't we encouraged to explore the world a bit first? In the end, the only thing I can figure out that really makes me happy is making things. The hard part in that is figuring out how I can make a living...

So the question is, what can I do for a living that will support me while I still live happily? Would this art/craft business just be a side thing? Man, life is full of questions sometimes, isn't it? There are so many decisions laid on such a small person in the world. I'm not sure where my future will lead but I'm looking for the way to get there. But some days I just feel like my car's perpetually in neutral instead of driving forward. I know they say it's not about where you get to, it's about the journey. But sometimes it's hard to go on a journey with no destination. Hopefully I can figure things out and have at least some certainty in my major by the time I graduate next year...

Anyway, this brings me to another point. I've had a few people tell me I should start selling my stuff. I would absolutely love to! But I just always felt like I wasn't good enough to sell my stuff, and that no one would want to buy it. But I kind of think this blog has given me more confidence! I've been pondering the possibility of opening up my own Etsy shop sometime soon. It seems like everyone has one. I would have to keep on top of it and figure out what I would sell, but I think it would be a great experience for me. What do you think? It would be a small step towards the future, which I don't think could be a bad thing. I'm trying to find my niche in the world while finding my stitch in the craft world, and at this point I think I just need to keep taking new steps.

I'm thinking of maybe asking for a couple of books for Christmas. Maybe Craft, Inc. or The Handmade Marketplace. Has anyone read these or have any other suggestions? Please let me know! Also let me know if you have any suggestions about Etsy or just the life of us crafty types in general.

And so we end with The Weepies. They're amazing, as is this song. And the video's kind of silly. Enjoy! :)



"I can't really say why everybody wishes they were somewhere else, but in the end the only steps that matter are the ones you take all by yourself..."

2 comments:

  1. You sound just like me! I just graduated but still feel the same way.

    I have Craft, Inc. I think it is good but I learned the most by just starting an Etsy shop. I'm surprised you don't have one aleady! Go for it, you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thank you for feeling the same! I'm thinking I probably will start a shop sometime soon. Thanks for helping! :)

    ReplyDelete