Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ribbon & Lace Bracelet DIY

I decided to try my first DIY tutorial!  Tell me what you think!
I made this simple but cute and dainty bracelet.


I used:
1" wide ribbon
3/4" wide lace hem tape
1/4" wide elastic
buttons
thread
and of course, a sewing machine

*You can, of course, use any other widths, colors, etc. and it's the same basic idea.


 Cut 12" of the ribbon, and 9" of the lace.


Measure your wrist and cut a piece of elastic about 1" shorter than this. Then pin the lace in the center of the ribbon (about 1 1/2" from each end)


Stitch the lace onto the ribbon about 1/4" from the end. Do this for both ends.


 
Flip the ribbon over, stitch the elastic to the ribbon along the stitching you just made, with about 1/8" overlapping. Do this for both sides.


Zig-zag stitch over each end for reinforcement.


It will look like this.


Stitch through all three layers by stretching the elastic so that the ribbon is flat.


Then wrap it around your wrist to see where you want to stitch it closed. (my wrists are pretty small so I had a bit of extra ribbon) Then stitch at the length you want it, cut 1/4" from stitching, and zig-zag stitch over the end.



Ta-da!

 
You can leave it the way it is or sew buttons on like I did. And that's it!

How easy was that? Simple & cute. Hope you enjoyed my DIY!

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I'm a big fan of wearing pieces of fabric on my wrist too! Great tutorial also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw i love this. Everything you make looks so stylish!

    ReplyDelete