Thursday, December 2, 2010

School is catching up with me

I haven't even touched any craft projects this week. Mostly because my classes are now entering the usual end of semester cram. I think my hands needed the break anyway. But now I need to go to it again! There are Christmas presents to be made!
Besides my lack of crafting, I thought I'd do a little roundup of what's been going on.

Good Buys:
Last week I went to AC Moore and found a wonderful thing. Did you know they have these factory mill ends of yarn?


Each bag is 1 lb of yarn for $5.99. Plus, I got 30% off, so they were a deal! I got four bags, one of which is nice plum-colored bulky yarn. They're "100% unknown fiber," but I don't really need to worry about fiber content for anything I make, so I'm set! Hooray for cheap yarn!

WIP:
Project-wise, there's nothing too exciting going on besides the Mix N' Match Craft Challenge. But I did change the blue and white ribbed scarf I had started before! I really didn't like how narrow it was turning out, so last weekend I just tore out all the stitches and started again. But this time, I made it wider and I'm doing it in a seed stitch. I haven't worked on it very much, as you can tell.


I like it much better now, though. And the seed stitch is fun, don't you think?  I also made a couple more hats over the weekend, but I don't have pictures of them. One was a purple slouchy hat I whipped up for my cousin, and the other was an orange hat for my dad.

Lovely Ideas:



I have this awesome idea for a Christmas gift for my sister. During college she studied abroad. A lot. Seriously, she's amazing. She went to Mexico, Sweden, Spain, and visited Morocco and a bunch of other places along the way. I came up with the idea of embroidering her travels. I thought I could embroider the outline of a world map, and then mark all the places she's been. It'll be tough, but I'm up for it. I'll probably mark home with a heart, and then maybe draw lines from there to dots for all the places she's been. I'm not sure if I want to only mark the places she went in college, or mark everywhere else too. That would be a lot of dots, though! I could continue updating it as she travels more, but that would be endless. So I think I'll just put her "study abroad" places. All I know is that I think she'd love it, so I'm going to run with the idea. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome idea for your sister! super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to share with you something I stumbled upon - I saw it and thought of you!

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Dress-from-a-Button-Down-Shirt/

    ReplyDelete